Attendance Scanner System Preferences & Setup
1. Before students can begin scanning themselves in there are some setup considerations that need to be made, starting with System Preferences. From the Setup menu, select System Preferences.
2. On the General tab, locate and enable School is Post Secondary by selecting the check box. When complete, click the Save button located in the upper right corner of the screen.
3. Click the Attendance tab to set the default codes for the attendance scanner via Default Present/Absent Code for Scanner App. These codes will be utilized in the Attendance Scanner Daily Absences job (see the Scheduled Job section for more information), and will affect students' attendance codes. Select the code appropriate to the school(s).
4. Click to the Post Secondary tab to set the final settings.
a. School Uses Attendance Scanner App: This preference allows users to set specific options at the section level of courses, which enables the Attendance Scanner App via the iDevice to register the section and record attendance.
b. Attendance Scanner grace period before start of class: Select a number here to set the amount of time a student is allowed to check in before a class begins and still be considered on time without gaining any additional hours. By default this is set to 15 minutes.
c. Attendance Scanner grace period after start of class: Select a number here to set the amount of time a student can check in after the class start time and still be considered on time. By default this is set to 5 minutes.
d. Attendance Scanner grace period before end of class: This preference takes effect if a student checks out before the exact time the class ends. The check out will be considered the end of class without having any hours or minutes subtracted. By default this is set to 5 minutes; select a number from 0-15 from the pull-down.
e. Attendance Scanner grace period after end of class: This preference takes effect if a student checks out after the class has ended. The check out will be considered the end of class without gaining extra hours. By default this is 15 minutes; select a number from 0-15 from the pull-down.
1. In addition to the system settings, the Section of the applicable courses must be set up. From the Scheduling menu, select Courses & Sections.
2. From the Courses & Sections screen, click the appropriate Program from the displayed list.
3. Next, click the Course from the displayed list.
4. Click the Section from the displayed list. When the section is selected, additional information is listed at the top of the screen.
5. In order to use the Attendance Scanner for the selected section, the Takes Attendance and Uses Attendance Scanner check boxes must be selected.
a. Takes Attendance: Allows an attendance record to be kept on this particular section.
b. Uses Attendance Scanner: Allows the App to recognize the section. Additionally, the Scheduled Jobs linked to the Attendance Scanner looks for this preference to function properly.
If sections are already established it may be more efficient to pull the Master Schedule Report and activate these preferences on the applicable sections from that report.
1. In utilizing the Attendance Scanner App, a specific scheduled job needs to be set up. This job looks for sections that are marked as using the attendance scanner app, locates the enrolled students and marks everyone absent. The attendance code will update as the students sign in. To begin setting up the schedule job, from the Setup menu, select Scheduled Jobs.
2. In the top right corner of the resulting screen, select Attendance Scanner Absences from the pull-down. Once selected, click Create Job.
3. After clicking Create Job, a new screen displays with additional options such as Run Time, Priority, etc.
4. The Run Time determines when the job will begin. Note that 12:00 am is the start of a new day. If you select Any, the job will run every hour or quarter hour.
5. Select the Weekdays you would like the job to run.
6. Establish the Priority. 500 is the highest priority that can be set. If two jobs have been scheduled to run on the same day and time, the Priority set will determine which job runs first.
7. Enter an End Date to determine the last day the scheduled job should run. This feature was designed for other scheduled jobs, but if the Attendance Scanner will not be used after a specific date, the date can be entered here.
8. Enter an E-mail address here to establish a user who will receive notifications of the scheduled job's results once the job is complete.
9. When finished, click the Save button.