Parent Portal Registration
Focus allows parents to directly login to the school district's site where they can view the information for their enrolled student(s). Parents are able to set up their own Focus portal from the Request Access screen. If a parent has multiple children enrolled in the district, they can add each student individually. The schools have set up the information requirements to create a parent account, and additional verification may be needed before student information can be accessed.
In order to register for an account, the district will set up the registration process. This document describe the general process and gives examples of what it might look like; however, because the district can customize the logo, wording of links, the welcome message, and more, your screens may differ from what is shown in this document.
Administrators should review the following document for set up information: System Preferences and access settings via Setup > System Preferences > Default School Preferences tab > Parent Registration tab.
1. The Parent Portal Registration screen displays customized messages from the district.
Click one of the following three links depending on your account needs. Note: The text displayed for each button may be different than the image shows below; districts have the option to customize the text. Options include:
- Parents without an account: I DO NOT have an Account Registered on the Parent Portal but my child is Actively Enrolled
- Parents who need to add a child: I have an Account Registered on the Parent Portal but would like to ADD A CHILD
- Parents who need a new password: I have Forgotten My Password and would like to generate a new one
2. If you do not yet have a parent account, an account will be creating for you once your information has been verified by the school. In order to begin this process, click the I DO NOT have an Account Registered on the Parental Portal but my child is Actively Enrolled link.
If you already have an account and would like to add a child, click the second link, I have an Account Registered on the Parent Portal Registration but would like to ADD A CHILD; then, follow steps 6-7 below.
Notice the district also has options to set up account registration in different languages, as needed.
3. Enter all of the required fields with your own information. The district has set up these requirements to create a parent account; requirements may include more fields than the example displays.
a. Click the Show Password check box to display your password as you type to avoid errors.
4. When all information has been entered, select the I'm not a robot check box and click Submit.
5. You may or may not already be linked to your students; if you are not, the message shown below displays with two options:
- I would like to ADD A CHILD who is already enrolled.
- I would like to APPLY FOR ENROLLMENT for a new child.
- I am FINISHED adding students. Please take me to the Portal.
6. Click I would like to ADD A CHILD who is already enrolled to link a student to your account and enter the required information to identify the student. The district has set up these requirements to link a student to a parent account. Multiple children must be added one at a time; an option to add another child will be available in the next step.
7. Once all information is entered, select the I'm not a robot check box and click Add Student to continue. To exit this screen and Return to the Student listing, click the corresponding link instead.
The information required varies from district to district; for example, the Student's First Name and Student's Last Name may be required in addition to the Last 4 Digits of Social Security Number, Student ID, and Student's Birthdate.
The linked student's name and photo (if applicable) display on the screen once the link is submitted. The corresponding school will receive your request to link to this student's account. Depending on the district's preferences, you may be able to bypass verification and begin viewing the linked student's data right away. However, most district elect to have parent accounts verified first.
To add another student, click I would like to ADD A CHILD who is already enrolled. Otherwise, click I am FINISHED adding students. Please take me to the Portal. You also have the option to apply for enrollment for a new student by clicking I would like to APPLY FOR ENROLLMENT for a new child.
Adding more students can be completed as many times as necessary or at a later date, if needed.
8. If you elect to add another student, follow steps 6-7. If you elect to navigate to the Portal, the following screen displays as shown below. For more information about the Portal, see the following document: Portal.
9. If additional actions need to be taken before you can view student information, an alert will display on the main Portal page. Depending on the distrcit's preferences, you may need to visit your school and present a valid photo ID to view any student information.
Notice the Alert that says You are not set up to receive email notifications. Be sure to click this link in order to set up email notifications to ensure when a change is made and an alert is generated, you also receive an email. For more information setting up Notifications, see Preferences.
10. If you forget your password, upon logging into the Parent Portal, click I have Forgotten My Password and would like to generate a new one.
Upon logging into Focus from the main login screen shown below, if you have forgotten your password, click the Parents: Forgot Password? link.
You will be prompted to enter your email address.
Click Cancel or Return to Registration to return to the main Parent Portal Registration screen.
Click Submit and a new password will be generated for you.
Below is an example of the email that will be sent in order for you to reset your password.
Click the link to have a password automatically generated for you. Then, Click to view your new credentials to view your temporary password.
Click the Click here to LOGIN to the Portal link to login. When signed in, you will be prompted to change the generated password. Enter the generated password, a new password, and the new password again to verify the entry. Click the Save button in the top right corner.
You can change/update your password at any time via the Preferences menu > Password tab.