Districts required to file 250 or more information returns during the year, must file electronically. The 250-or-more requirement applies separately to each type of form. For example, if the district files 500 Forms 1099 and 100 Forms 1099-A, the district must file Forms 1099 electronically but is not required to file Forms 1099-A electronically. The electronic filing requirement does not apply if the district applies for and receives a hardship waiver.
1. From the Purchasing/Accounts Payable menu, click Electronic 1099-MISC.
2. Select the Form Type from the pull-down.
The NEC is reported with the 1099-NEC form; this will only pull the count and value totals from the NEC and select the NEC box on the Form.
The MISC is reported with the 1099-MISC form; this will only pull the count and value totals from the MISC and select the MISC check box on the Form.
3. Select the Calendar Year from the pull-down.
5. Enter the IRS Control Number is the field provided.
6. Enter the District Contact Name in the field provided.
7. Select the Create a corrected electronic 1099 check box to generate an updated document. You can optionally upload an existing electronic 1099, and Focus will only output records that have changed from the uploaded 1099.
Any B records in the resulting electronic 1099 will have a "G" in the sixth position to indicate a corrected record. If existing return data is uploaded, the resulting 1099 will only have B records that differ from the uploaded 1099.
a. Upon selecting Create a corrected electronic 1099 check box, you can click Choose File to optionally upload an existing electronic 1099, from which Focus will only output records that have changes from the uploaded 1099.
b. Select the radio button to Only include vendors that have changed or to Only include new vendors.
8. Click Choose File to upload External 1099 Data from your computer.
Examples of files attached here include payments to vendors manually recorded, in which case, the Import external data into Focus as manual vendor payments check box must be selected.
9. Select the Import external data into Focus as manual vendor payments check box if you have a file with payments to vendors not entered into Focus.
Click Choose File mentioned above to select the external file to include the data in the file sent to the IRS. If you manually enter the vendors in Focus when you produce the 1099, the manual input is included.
10. Click Process Electronic 1099 to generate the document.