The Electronic 1099 screen includes options for Form Type, Calendar Year, Federal Tax ID, IRS Control Number, District Contact Name, Create a corrected electronic 1099 check box, External 1099 Data attachment, and Import external data into Focus as manual vendor payments check box. The file generated is formatted from the IRS publication 1220: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1220.pdf.
1. From the Purchasing/Accounts Payable menu, click Electronic 1099.
2. Select the Form Type from the pull-down. Options include 1099-MISC and 1099-NEC.
The NEC is reported with the new 1099-NEC form; this will only pull the count and value totals from the NEC and select the NEC box on the Form.
The MISC is reported with the old 1099-MISC form; this will only pull the count and value totals from the MISC and select the MISC check box on the Form.
3. Select the Calendar Year from the pull-down.
4. Enter the Federal Tax ID.
5. Enter the IRS Control Number.
6. Enter the District Contact Name.
7. Select the Create a corrected electronic 1099 check box to generate an updated document. You can optionally upload an existing electronic 1099, and Focus will only output records that have changed from the uploaded 1099.
8. Click Choose File to upload External 1099 Data from your computer.
Examples of files attached here include payments to vendors manually recorded, in which case, the Import external data into Focus as manual vendor payments check box must be selected.
9. Select the Import external data into Focus as manual vendor payments check box if you have a file with payments to vendors not entered into Focus.
Click Choose File mentioned above to select the external file to include the data in the file sent to the IRS. If you manually enter the vendors in Focus when you produce the 1099, the manual input is included.
10. Click Process Electronic 1099.