The Add Referral screen is used to add a discipline referral for a student. Administrators can add a referral on their own behalf or on behalf of another staff member.
1. In the Discipline menu, click Add Referral.
2. On the Search Screen, enter search criteria to locate the student and click Search.
3. In the list of search results, click the student's name.
The referral form for the selected student is displayed.
The district determines which fields on the referral form are required. The required fields are marked with an asterisk on the form, and are listed as errors in the Errors list on the right side of the screen if not completed. As required fields are completed, they are removed from the Errors list. Fields that do not pass the validation rules are also included in the Errors list. Hovering over the field in the Errors list or the field on the form displays a tool-tip with information about why the field is in error. Clicking the field in the Errors list will bring you directly to that field on the form.
4. Select the Reporter of the referral.
5. Adjust the Incident Date, if needed.
6. (Optional) Select the Reviewed by Admin check box to process the referral.
Processing the referral will remove the Portal alert for this referral and will make the referral available on the Parent and Student Portal once it is submitted. It will also be available for the teacher/reporter. Leave the check box unselected to process the referral later.
7. Select the Discipline Code.
The Discipline Code is required but may be edited after the referral has been submitted. Teachers typically do not have access to select the Discipline Code.
8. Fill out any additional required fields.
9. Once the form requirements are completed, click Save.
10. In the pop-up window, click Go To Referral to view the referral in the Referrals screen or Enter Another Referral to go back to the Add Referral screen.
If a letter was attached to a discipline code or action in Referral Codes & Actions, and that code or action was assigned to the student in this referral, the Print Letter pop-up window will display after the administrator processes and saves the referral. The letter can be printed, emailed, and sent to the student log.
If a victim was entered on a referral (see Adding a Victim Entry to a Referral), and a Victim Letter was selected in Setup > System Preferences > General tab, the Print Letter pop-up window will display after the administrator processes and saves the referral. The victim letter can be printed, emailed, and sent to the student log. If both a victim letter and a letter triggered by a specific code or action is generated, a pull-down displays where you can select between the referral recipient's letter or the victim's letter.
The Victims table is used to document the victims of the aggressor student. When "Prevent the Co-Enrollment" check box is selected on the entry, the aggressor cannot be enrolled in the victim's school for the defined time period. A warning message will display on the Add a Student screen indicating the student cannot be enrolled because he or she is an aggressor of the victim student.
The Victims logging field must be enabled for use by selecting "New Referral" on the field in Discipline > Referral Fields.
Victims can be documented on the Victims tab in the aggressor student's record if the issue is not related to an on-campus reportable referral.
1. In the Victims table on the referral, enter the victim's Student ID.
2. Select a Start Date and End Date.
If the Prevent Co-Enrollment check box is selected, the aggressor cannot be enrolled in the victim's school during the specified date frame. If no end date is entered, then the aggressor cannot be enrolled in the victim's school indefinitely.
3. (Optional) Enter any Comments, if needed.
4. Select Prevent Co-Enrollment to prevent the aggressor from being enrolled in the victims school in the time frame defined in the Start Date and End Date fields.
5. Press Enter to add the entry.
1. In the Action Record(s) table on the referral, select the Action.
The actions available for selection may be limited based on the discipline code selected for the referral, the number of occurrences of the discipline code, or based on your profile. See Referral Codes & Actions for more information.
2. Select the Date Decided.
This is the date the action was decided. This may or may not be the same as the start date of the action.
3. Select the Date Begins and Date Ends for the selected action.
The system will automatically calculate and populate the Length of Action, accounting for non-school days. Alternatively, enter the Date Begins and the Length of Action and the system will calculate and populate the Date Ends.
A message will display if the Length of Action exceeds the number of allowable days set in Referral Codes & Actions (if in use.) The field will automatically populate with the maximum days allowed.
4. Enter the Attendance Code, if applicable.
This is typically used for in-school or out-of-school suspensions but can also include other district-defined disciplinary absences.
The student's attendance record will automatically update with the applicable attendance code from the start date to the end date of the action if the Date Begins is not today or in the past.
The attendance code will also display for all of the teachers on the student's schedule. Teachers will be unable to edit this code when taking attendance.
If the action timeframe has already begun and the student's attendance needs to be adjusted, the action record as well as the student's attendance will need to be updated. Updating only the action record will not adjust the student's attendance.
When an action with a withdrawal code attached is added to a discipline referral, the student is automatically withdrawn as of the Date Decided or today’s date if there is no Date Decided set.
5. (Optional) Enter who the action was Administered by.
6. (Optional) Enter any Notes.
7. Press Enter to add the row.
When a SESIR code is selected as the Discipline Code on a referral, the Errors list on the right side of the screen displays "Click here to complete SESIR." You will not be able to save the referral without completing the SESIR. You can create a new discipline incident or link an existing discipline incident to the referral.
1. In the Errors list, click Click here to complete SESIR.
In the pop-up window, the Add New tab is displayed by default.
The district determines which fields on the incident form are required. The required fields are marked with an asterisk on the form, and are listed as errors in the Errors list on the right side of the screen if not completed. As required fields are completed, they are removed from the Errors list.
Fields that do not pass the validation rules set on them are also included in the Errors list. Hovering over the field in the Errors list or the field on the form displays a tool-tip with information about why the field is in error. Clicking the field in the Errors list will bring you directly to that field on the form.
2. Complete the form and click Save when finished.
If all referral form requirements have been completed on the Add Referral screen, the referral is saved and submitted after clicking Save for the SESIR.
3. In the pop-up window, click Go To Referral to view the referral in the Referrals screen or Enter Another Referral to go back to the Add Referral screen.